Nancy’s Nonprofit Marketing Experience
NANCY SCHWARTZ & COMPANY, New York, NY
(Marketing and communications firm)
Founder and President. Lead clients in results-driven marketing and communications programs. Services include branding, product/service positioning and marketing, campaign design and implementation, audits, sales tools, Internet strategy; and customer, internal, investor, and partner communications programs. Current clients include the Association of Small Foundations, Datex-Ohmeda, Elsevier Science Publishing, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, University of Connecticut, and H.W. Wilson.
APPLIED THEORY, New York, NY
(Internet business solutions provider, b-to-b)
Director, Corporate Communications. Guided strategy and execution of high-profile marketing, corporate and internal communications, and investor relations initiatives to support post-IPO growth including new sales force and national footprint. Led team (of eight), agencies, and freelancers in:
- Branding and corporate identity campaign.
- Marketing strategy and message development: Focused on brand, products/services, vertical markets, channel and strategic partners, and industry analysts. Trained colleagues in messages and delivery.
- Intensive public relations to raise national and local awareness. Initiated innovative campaigns such as sponsorship of the 2000 Boston Marathon. Leveraged success into broadcast (e.g. feature on CBS’ Business Now) and print coverage and executive speaking invitations at national events.
- Investor relations: Designed proactive communications program to strengthen relationships with investors (past, present, prospective) and analysts. Defined messages, implemented program to build dialogue-monthly emails, conference call and visit scripts. Increased analyst coverage by 25%.
- Sales tools from elevator pitch to multimedia product presentations, seminars, and start-up kits.
- Collateral program: Print and Web-based (new Web site, Intranet, customer and partner Extranets).
e-COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIES, New York, NY
(Internet strategy consulting firm)
Founder and Principal Consultant. Designed Internet strategies for Web sites, Intranets, and Extranets. Assessed needs and resources and implemented solutions with sub-contractor teams. Multi-part solutions included branding, product/service development, e-commerce, advertising, and site marketing elements.
- Built client base of more than 20 leaders in the private and nonprofit sectors. Clients included the Ford Foundation, Lucent Technologies, National Urban League, and PricewaterhouseCoopers.
- Designed and executed over 30 Web strategy projects, increasing revenue by 35% year over year.
- Independently planned and managed growing business including marketing, administration, and hiring.
- Recognized national conference speaker on transformative Internet strategies.
- The New York Botanical Garden: Designed Web strategy to brand organization and generate revenue from product sales, membership and course registration, and donor recruitment. Site in production.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers: Designed strategy, wrote, and produced Web, Intranet, print and media communications campaigns introducing merger to external and internal audiences.
THE FOUNDATION CENTER, New York, NY
(Information clearinghouse and electronic publisher)
Director of Electronic Product Development. Promoted to launch new business unit, specializing in online products. Managed branding, product development, marketing, and staffing.
- Launched corporate Web hub (www.fdncenter.org) in 1994. E-commerce application for product and service sales increased revenues 20% in first year. Spoke at 15 national conferences as Web innovator.
- Piloted complex FC Search CD-ROM product development. Product is now chief revenue producer.
- Leveraged Web expertise and reputation to create new revenue stream via Web development service.
- Developed and advanced strategic alliances and licensing and distribution agreements.
Director of Marketing. Full responsibility for lead generation via the strategic planning, implementation, and leadership of business-to-business marketing of publications and services generating $5 million annually. Tactics included direct marketing, trade show exhibits, licensing and co-marketing, media relations, space advertising, event management, and course adoptions. Managed staff of five.
- Introduced innovations in design format and mailing strategies, resulting in more effective promotion and increased revenue.
- Increased profit margin 20% via market and competitive analysis, direct mail list analysis process, and conversion of graphic design from traditional to MAC implementation.
THE H.W. WILSON COMPANY, Bronx, NY
(Reference and electronic publisher)
Director, Advertising and Promotion. Promoted to launch brand initiative and expand b-to-b marketing program for print and electronic titles. Profit-and-loss responsibility for $32 million revenue stream. Responsibilities included branding, market research, product development, sales force and user support and training programs, product packaging, and corporate affairs.
- Increased revenue 21% over five-year period.
- Built alliances with IAC, DIALOG, and other online partners to increase brand, reach, and revenue.
- Created competition and market research programs that increased speed and success of product development and marketing efforts and strengthened relationships with customer base.
Advertising and Promotion Manager. Responsible for full-service marketing (lead generation and direct sales) program including direct marketing, space advertising, trade shows, press relations, and forecasting with a total annual budget of $2 million. Managed staff of eight.
- Streamlined entire graphic design and print production process, reducing expenditures by 25%.
- Created marketing activity database to facilitate program analysis and refinement.
- Designed successful product life cycle management strategy to sustain sales of existing products.
K.G. SAUR INC., New York, NY
Promotion Manager, Promotion Associate. Planned and implemented (writing, design, print production) marketing program for titles in electronic and print formats, including building a marketing staff of three.
VIKING PENGUIN INC., New York, NY
Promotion Associate. Wrote and designed promotional materials and flap copy for book titles.
ARTNEWS BOOKS, New York, NY
Publisher’s Assistant. Assisted team with editorial, production, and public relations responsibilities.
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY, LEONARD N. STERN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS, M.B.A., Management and Marketing.
BROWN UNIVERSITY, A.B., Comparative Literature.
Professional Affiliations and Achievements:
- Membership Committee Member, New York Women in Communications, 2001-Present.
- Trainer, Marketing and Communications Strategy, Support Center for Nonprofit Management, 2001-Present.
- Advisory Board Member, Nonprofit Managers’ Knowledge Hub, 2001-Present.
- Reviewer, Technology Opportunities Grant Program (TOP), Department of Commerce, 1997 and 2002.
- Adjunct Professor, Technology Strategy and Management, The New School University, Graduate Program in Nonprofit Management, 1999-2001. Designed and taught new distance learning course.
- Board Member, Literacy and Technology Network, Literacy Assistance Center, 1996-2000.
- Advisory Board Member, Association for Community Networking, 1997-1999.
- Judge, Awards for Excellence in Communications, Council on Foundations, 1997-1999.
- Chair, Exhibits Round Table, American Library Association, 1991-1993.